(s)HACF – COVID-19 Guidance, Resources and Updates

To Our Residents and Participants

As we work together to weather this crisis, the Housing Authority of the City of Frederick (HACF) wants to make sure we are accessible to our residents. 
We are in this together!

Although our offices are closed, we are still available by email or phone to make sure your income information is updated,
emergency maintenance is done, and essential family services are provided.

For information about general community resources, call 2-1-1

For our staff directory, click here. Please let us know how we can help!

Frequently Asked Questions and Community Resources

How do I pay my rent if the office is closed?

Public housing rent checks can be submitted through the drop box at 209 Madison Street. They may also be mailed to that address. Section 8/Housing Choice Voucher residents should continue to pay their landlords as outlined in their lease agreements.


Can I get evicted if I don’t pay my rent?

If you can pay your rent, you should continue to do so to avoid the potential of future eviction.
Rent payments are still due on the usual date. If you live in federally subsidized housing or get a federally subsidized voucher, you cannot be evicted for nonpayment of rent between March 27 and July 25, 2020 due to the CARES Act.
However, please pay your rent to avoid future eviction.  https://www.consumerfinance.gov/coronavirus/mortgage-and-housing-assistance/


I was recently laid off. I need to report a decrease in income and get my rent adjusted. What do I do?

For Public Housing residents in Carver, Lincoln, Lucas Village, and Scattered Sites, contact our Housing Management Coordinator to update their income information via email:

For Section 8/Housing Choice Voucher, residents should contact their respective voucher coordinator:

Do I still need to report unemployment income?

YES. Unemployment is a form of income. All income for any household member(s) but be reported within ten (10) days of the occurrence. Contact your case worker immediately to report unemployment payments. 


Are scammers really trying to take advantage of me since I received my stimulus check?

Yes. Using fear to their advantage, scammers are attempting to get bank/debit/credit card numbers. Similar to the IRS, the CDC or local health department will NOT contact individuals by text, email, or phone. The latest COVID-19 scam involves fraudulent text messages that appear to be from the CDC or local health department. The text indicates that you have been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19 and directs you to a link. Don’t fall for it!  A Fraud Alert is in effect. Please stay vigilant.  https://www.hud.gov/sites/dfiles/Housing/documents/MF_Tenant_Concerns_COVID-19_Brochure.pdf


I still haven’t gotten my stimulus check, what do I do?

If you filed a 2018 or 2019 tax return or receive Social Security Benefits, and you have direct deposit set up, you don’t need to do anything at this time! If you did NOT file and/or do NOT have direct deposit set up or feel that you need to update information, the IRS will mail your payment to the address on file. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment


Will I need to adjust my income/rent calculation when I receive my family’s stimulus check?

The incoming stimulus checks are one-time payments that will not count towards annual income, so you do not need to report any income changes.  However, for unemployment income, you must report an income adjustment.


Since FCPS is only providing online instruction, how can I get the internet and a computer?

Frederick County Public Schools will remain closed for the remainder of the school year. Distance learning will continue. 
Frederick County Public Schools is offering outdoor Wi-Fi service at 27 school parking lots. Connections are only available to FCPS students and staff who have valid credentials to access the network. They will log in using the same credentials as they would if they were inside the school. https://www.fcps.org/about/news/1680456/fcps-offers-outdoor-wi-fi-service


My childcare center closed and I still need to go to work.  What should I do?

The YMCA has been approved to provide childcare for essential healthcare personnel: click here.

Click here for other Maryland approved childcare providers.


How do I cope and manage my mental health during this time?
2-1-1 has referral resources, including suicide prevention assistance and domestic violence assistance.

Call day or night. 


How do I find a new job and/or file for unemployment?

Public Housing or Section 8 Program Residents, for Employment Assistance due to layoffs resulting from the Coronavirus please contact: Teresa Kidd tkidd@hacfrederick.org.

If you were laid off for reasons related to the COVID-19 crisis, you may qualify for unemployment insurance income for several months. For more information and to apply online, click here.


Where can I find food and other important supplies for my family?

Frederick Community Action Agency

Frederick Rescue Mission

FCPS Grab-n-Go meals:  Students may pick up lunches from 11:30AM-12:30PM at the sites listed here.

Blessings in a Backpack:  https://www.facebook.com/BlessingsinaBackpackFrederick/ 

Community Food Drops:

  • Monday: Monocacy Village Shopping Center, Dollar General Store, 12pm
  • Tuesday: Amber Meadows Park, 201 Amber Drive, 12pm
  • Tuesday: American Legion parking lot, 1450 Taney Ave., 1pm
  • Wednesday: Hickory Hills, next to pool, 1445 Key Parkway, 12pm
  • Thursday: Elmwood Terrace Apartments, 1420 Key Parkway, 12pm
  • Thursday: Hillcrest Park, 501 S. McCain Drive, 1pm
  • Friday: Hill Street Skate Park, 100 Hill Street, 12pm
  • Friday: Grove Park, corner of Franklin and E. South Street, 1:30pm


Can my electric get shut-off if I don’t pay my bill?

If you can pay your utilities, you should continue to do so to avoid the potential of future problems.
No electric, gas, sewage disposal, telegraph, telephone, water, or cable television company, or internet service provider, or any company providing a combination of such services (a “Residential Service Company”), shall terminate the service of a customer if the service is used in a dwelling unit or residence. This order is only in effect until June 1st. https://governor.maryland.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Utility-Shutoffs-and-Late-Fees-Amended-4.29.20.pdf


Is it safe to ride TransIT?

Yes. Masks or facial coverings are required.  All TransIT services, including TransIT-plus and Connector, and shuttle service will be FREE until further notice, and should be used for essential travel only, such as food and medication.  For more information, click here.


I’m planning to file my taxes, is it too late for me?

No, there still time! The IRS has extended the filing deadline to July 15, 2020.  To start your filing, click here.  Also, hotline help is available to answer your questions about doing your taxes online.  Call 2-1-1, (or 866-411-6803).


I don’t have a bank account for my direct deposit.  How do I open a bank account?
Find a safe, affordable option that meets national BankOn Standards (click here).


I have an elderly neighbor or family member.  I’m worried about her/him, who do I call?

Concerned about elderly neighbors or loved ones? Click here for Maryland’s free wellness check service for seniors.

For seniors who do not have internet or smartphone access, let them know that they can call 2-1-1 for information about resources. For Coronavirus Information for Older Adults, please visit the fact sheet listed here: https://frederickcountymd.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=4538.


Someone said it was safe to go outside again.  Is this true?

Maryland Governor is now permitting some outdoor activities. These activities may be done in compliance with Maryland’s Directives: Outdoor exercise activities, such as walking, hiking, running, biking, or individual and small group sports such as golfing, tennis, and similar activities; Outdoor fitness instruction; Recreational fishing, hunting, shooting, and archery; Recreational boating; Horseback riding; and Visiting cemeteries.


Is it too late to complete my Census?  I heard it was REALLY important!

Completing your census is so important.  You can start here:  https://2020census.gov/


Is it too late to Register to Vote?  I heard voting is going to be REALLY important!

You can register to vote here: https://elections.maryland.gov/voter_registration/index.html.


How can I get a face mask?

Customers and employees at essential retail businesses will be required to wear face coverings.

HACF Public Housing residents, contact Ann Ryan, ARyan@HACFrederick.org.  
HACF Section 8/Housing Choice Voucher residents, contact Veronica Henry, VHenry@HACFrederick.org.


I just feel like I need some help with things.  Who can I contact?

If you live in Carver, Lincoln, Lucas Village, or scattered sites housing, contact Family Services if you have any questions or require additional help: Ann Ryan, Director of Family Services – Aryan@HACFrederick.org.

If you are a Section 8 Voucher Holder, contact the Hillcrest Team if you have any questions or require additional help: Veronica Henry, Resource and Community Impact Manager – VHenry@HACFrederick.org.


I would like to apply for Public Housing, how do I sign up?

Applicants, click the following link to find out more about our housing application: http://hacfrederick.org/application/.


Please check our website for any administrative updates or office closings, www.hacfrederick.org

Last Update: 9:32 a.m. PM May 15, 2020